Monday, December 8, 2008

Busy time of year...

So, I've realized that I need to update this blog for a while now, but I haven't gotten around to it. This is mostly due to the fact that nothing extremely huge has happened lately and I haven't known what to write about. I guess I will just play catch up!

Thanksgiving was so much fun this year. My Grandma and Brent ended up coming all the way from Quartzsite, AZ (they are staying in Southern Utah until after Christmas!!! ) and my Uncle Todd and Aunt Sandra came with their cute kids! We also had my Grandma's good friend Marie (who we love to pieces and consider part of our family) and some of my parents neighbors that had nowhere to go this year. We all piled into my parents house and had a blast eating ourselves silly!

We actually ended up having THREE turkeys!!! My dad wanted to try and Dutch Oven a turkey, and Bill and I wanted my family to finally try a deep fried turkey that was done correctly. You see, a couple of years ago, my dad tried to deep fry a turkey and it didn't turn out so well... Billy's family did a couple last year, so, after quizzing down Bill's sister and doing some research, we mastered the art of turkey frying. Since the oil was so expensive, and we received a free turkey from a company Bill works a lot with, we decided to just buy another turkey and fry two that day. I was amazed that it only takes about 45 minutes to completely cook a turkey by the frying method. All the turkeys turned out juicy and wonderful, and I am not usually a huge turkey fan.

One of the highlights of the day was a funny song that Todd and Sandra brought. It is to the tune of "I Will Survive" and the words are from the perspective of a turkey determined to survive through Thanksgiving day! It started out that Sandra and I were trying to sing it, but then of course Bill got in on it and he really outdid us! It was a hit. We made him redo it later in the day so we could video it. I'm not sure I can figure out how to get the video on here... I'll have to get Bill on that project, if he won't mind sharing this lovely song with all of you!

Since then we have been busy with school/work and getting ready for Christmas. We put our tree up a week ago, and although the tree is very old, and our ornaments are mostly homemade, we think it looks great! I have quite a bit of Christmas decorations from my mom, as well as from working at Bulloch Drug and being able to take home slightly damaged items for free! I love the Christmas season and having the decorations up just makes it more fun! I can't help smiling when I think of next year and a little girl who will be crawling and probably fascinated with the preasents (mainly the wrapping paper and bows) and the decorations. I think the bottom of our tree will look a little different next year.

Well, that pretty much catches us up. I guess I had more to ramble about than I thought. I can't believe how close Christmas is! This weekend will be busy in that area as well! Friday is our ward Christmas party (Bill and I are in charge of the entertainments portion), Saturday morning I have a dress rehearsal for the Messiah performance the following night. My Grandma's Christmas party is Saturday, and Bill and I are singing in our ward on Sunday as well!! There are only two weeks of school left! It seems like the Christmas season is always the craziest time of the year! But it is oh so much fun!

3 comments:

Avree said...

I wish we could have come down for Thanksgiving! Cara was on-call though so we had to stay up here. Matt, Spencer, and I are going down for Grandma's Christmas party, we're excited to see everyone!

Stacey said...

Yay for slightly damaged things from Bulloch Drug. I loved rummaging through that stuff ha ha.

PS what produce is your baby resembling these days :) I liked keeping up based on fruits and veggies ha ha.

Oh and good luck with the double sided apron thing. I don't envy you at all teaching sewing!

Rob and Tami Stewart said...

Sounds like your Christmas season is fun! I hope you enjoy the next couple weeks of holiday excitement!