Thursday, August 25, 2011

Welcome Lila Jane Grant


Wow!  It has been a crazy two days, and I can't believe I am actually taking the time to do this right now, but we have a laptop at the hospital and I actually have a few minutes right now, so here is the story of how Miss Lila Jane joined our family!

My due date with this pregnancy was September 5th, however Billy and I both felt like this little girl would come early.  I kept thinking that I needed to pack a hospital bag so we would be ready in time, but I kept putting it off, thinking I still had time.

Well, Wednesday morning I woke up at about 3:30 and was pretty sure my water had broken.  I woke up Billy and we jumped up (then REALLY knowing that my water broke!) and started scrambling to get some things to go to the hospital.  I was delivering in Ogden, so we had about an hour drive ahead of us.  Lucky for us, it was 4am when we hit the road, so there was no traffic the whole way.  Also lucky for us was that we are still living with Billy's parents, so we were able to just wake up Grandma Grant to stay with Amanda for us. 

We made it to the hospital just fine at about 4:45am.  I only felt a little "tightening" during the drive and no "real" contractions.  We parked in the wrong parking lot and ended up entering through the emergency entrance.  They plopped my messy self (talk about feeling yucky) into a wheelchair and helped me up to labor and delivery. 

The rest of the story goes really fast!  I was planning on seeing how far I could go without an epidural, but once the pitocin really got going, my contractions really got going!  I definitely felt more intense feelings than I did when I was in labor with Amanda.  I decided to go ahead and get the epidural, and I really couldn't have timed things more perfectly.  Once the epidural had just taken effect, the nurse checked me and I was fully dilated and effaced and ready to push.  I was a little shocked because things with Amanda had taken so much longer.  I pushed through two contractions with the nurse, then waited for my doctor (who was just running in from her trip to the gym!).  Once my doctor came, I pushed once and out came our perfect little girl!  Wow!

Amanda came to meet her new sister that evening, and I really don't think she fully gets what is happening.  She wasn't really interested in the baby that much, but I'm hoping she will just be my good little helper. 

It took us until the next day to decide for sure what her name would be.  We had it narrowed down to a few we liked, but we just weren't sure which to pick.  We finally decided on Lila Jane because Lila was the name of my Great Grandmother who really is one of my heroes!  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we end up with a few Lila's on that side of my family, and that would be great!


Things are going great, and we are now getting ready to leave the hospital.  We could wait and check out tomorrow morning, but we decided we would rather leave tonight so we could sleep in our own beds.  My parents are on their way up too, so we will have plenty of help when we go home.

I really can't believe that we have two children in our family now!  I really don't think it has hit me yet!  The next few weeks will be a little bit of a learning curve for our little family, but I'm sure we will get the hang of it... even Amanda!

12 comments:

Alison said...

Yea Emily!!! She's beautiful and her name is so sweet!!! Congratulations!!!

Manda Jane Clawson said...

Awww! We are so excited for you guys :) She is absolutely beautiful!

The Baker Bunch said...

It still hasn't hit me that we have 3 kids, then I look as we are all sitting on my bed (which is our new hang-out spot) and I can't imagine life without Millie! I'm so happy for you guys, and glad everything went so smoothly! I can't wait to meet Miss Lila!

Jordan and Ariana said...

Congratulations on your new little girl! She's so cute and small! We're glad she's healthy!

xander said...

So happy for you and your cute family. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! They both are so stinkin adorable! I cant wait to see more pictures! Love, melanie & joe frizzle

Rob and Tami Stewart said...

I love the name! I'm glad the delivery went so smoothly, that's great! Congrats! Also, you look amazing after giving birth...if only I could say the same! ;) Good luck with everything!

Drea said...

What a fun story! I am so glad everything went well and she is healthy. She is so beautiful!! Congratulations!!

Avree said...

Congrats! I'm so glad things went so smoothly for you! She is adorable, I can't wait to meet her! And yes, there might be another Lila Jane in the family someday, although I'm probably doomed to having all boys :)

Stacey said...

Yay congrats! She's beautiful! I love the last picture and the face Amanda is making...too funny!

Mikelle and Ben said...

Congrats! I'm so happy for you guys! She's such a cute little baby and I love her name!

Mary Ann said...

I'm so glad she's finally here! I can't wait to meet her!